As I write this, I am in downtown Gresham's Cafe Delirium (Cafe D). There's a Indian man singing a broken English version of "The Way You Look Tonight" and playing guitar very well. It's pretty rad.
Things have been busy around here lately. Still lots of humming energy all the time because everything is so new.
Saturday night was a little get together with Mac, Morris, and Hillsboro. It was quite eventful and I got to go up on the roof of the JVC office via a sketchy ladder.
Sunday a few of my roommates and I went to OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) which for you Washingtonians is very similar to Pacific Science Center. It was pretty cool but there were kids EVERYWHERE. It was a free day so everybody was out in full swing to enjoy the a/c because it was in the 90s. The 6 of us came back and passed out for a little while and then I painted a little bit which was fun. When my roommates saw that the paints were out we all decided to paint our breakfast nook table. It's awesome. Photos to come soon!
On Monday I played a lot at work with the kids and treated myself to a Burgerville lunch which was fantastic. The things I have started to appreciate are strange.
Tuesday was a very good and very different day. It was art class at work and my boss encouraged me to go visit the kids who were in there. They're just across the way from my office so I could tell they were being pretty rambunctious because of all the noise. I went in and introduced myself to one of the girls who was probably around 11. I told her I was the new JV and she screamed and said "The new Bonnie's ugly." Then this same girl was in my office later and she asked me if I had a mom and I said my mom had died. She laughed. It was very jarring. It gives you a feel of the rough kids I will be working with. Some of them are very sweet but some have no boundaries. It didn't phase me too much but it was a little discouraging.
Wednesday was quite an eventful day. First of all, I love riding the bus. I've said it before but I'll say it again. I am just struck with what people's life stories must be and their strength and beauty. It sounds kind of silly but it's amazing. I also love the bus because the bus driver at my stop in the morning makes me feel like a local. He says "There she is!" when I get on the bus and always tells me to have a wonderful day when I exit. Everyone is pretty friendly on the bus in Portland, passengers and driver. Everyone says thank you when they exit. Sara Dorsch (or Dorsch face), my confirmation sponsor/high-school Spanish teacher, stopped by to take me to lunch on Wednesday as well. We went to a swanky pub and I had an amazing burger. It was really good to see her even if it was a bit of a whirlwind trip for her. I also got attacked at my bus stop (don't worry) by my friend Brittney Harris who saw me as she was on the way to a rehearsal. It was incredible and so good to see her. Wednesday was also mine and Colleen's night to make dinner. She made chicken pot pie (AMAZING pictures to come) and I made roast broccoli (a la Kipp Gallagher) and Aaron and Erin Riggio salad! The roommates loved it. We have a house of good cooks!
Basically my heart is opening and breaking on a regular basis. The other day one of the little girls (she's probably 3) at work who is from Guatemala stuck her head in my office and said "You come afuera [outside in Spanish]?" The kids at my work are incredible and I love helping them cross the monkey bars (the most popular request they make of me) and spinning them till I'm incredibly dizzy. So far work fires me up! My heart breaks for what people have to go through everyday and the pain some of them are in. But I want to be there with a full heart and open hands and so far that's what I'm doing. I know the difficulty will escalate but hopefully I will grow and be ready.
I miss all of you a lot. I will post pictures next time I have internet. I have Monday off so I might get time. Love love love
1 comment:
I love reading your updates! What you're doing is awesome. Keep up the good work.
I too like riding the bus. I wish it was easier in LA. I would take it everywhere!
Post a Comment